Vegan Spinach Lasagna
Updated: Dec 19, 2019
For my vegan friends out there, here is a super tasty vegan lasagna packed with spinach, spicy roasted fennel, courgette and a creamy cashew savoury sauce. I've added some chestnuts to give it the flavour of Christmas. Serve with roasted veggies and some cranberry sauce on the side and your Christmas dinner is ready!
Prep: 30 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Serves: 6
You will need:
a lasagna dish large enough for 6
a high speed blender
For the fennel
3 fennel bulbs (sliced thinly)
Olive oil for roasting
2 tsp turmeric
ground black pepper
For the rest of the filling
1 medium red onion (sliced thinly)
1 small leek (halved and sliced thinly)
2 garlic cloves (chopped finely)
550g frozen spinach (thawed)
180g cooked chestnuts - optional - (chopped)
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
ground black pepper to taste
Butternut squash slices (alternatively, if you can't buy these or slice your own then you could use slices of aubergine or gf pasta sheets)
1 large courgette (sliced lengthways)
Ingredients for the savoury cashew cream
300g cashew nuts (soaked overnight and drained)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp peppercorns
1 1/4 cups cold water
1. Begin by preparing and roasting the fennel. Preheat your oven to 190˚C. Put a little olive oil in a roasting pan, arrange the fennel slices, sprinkle with a little turmeric and black pepper. Coat the fennel with the oil using a brush and then place in the oven. Cook for approximately 35 minutes, turning frequently to cook evenly.
2. While the fennel is cooking in the oven, gently heat a little olive oil in a pan and add your chopped onion, leek and garlic. Sauté until soft.
3. Add the spinach and the chestnuts and stir through with the nutmeg, cayenne pepper and ground pepper. Cover and heat through on a low heat for a few minutes while you prepare the savoury cashew sauce.
4. Place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
5. Add approximately 1 cup or so to the spinach mixture and stir through in the pan. Remove from the heat and put to one side. Put the rest of the sauce to one side.
6. Now begin layering your lasagna in your chosen dish. First brush the surface with a little oil and then begin by placing a layer of the butternut squash slices as the base.
7. Add layers as follows:
8. Finish by pouring the rest of the savoury cashew sauce over the top and cook in a preheated oven on 160˚C for 45 minutes.
9. Serve with roasted vegetables or fresh green salad.
Gluten free I Dairy free I Soy free I Yeast free I Refined sugar free