Orange & Carrot Carob Brownies
These delicious gluten free, dairy free and sugar free orange brownie treats are pretty simple to make and are a stunning addition for any party or buffet. I prefer carob to chocolate because it has its own natural sweetness and is caffein free, making this a healthy alternative and kinder to your teeth and your health. A bonus is that it freezes well, so you can prepare well ahead of time and wow everyone at a moments notice.
Serves: 16/32 Prep time: 1 hour Cooking time: 0
Large food processor
High speed blender
20cm square loose based brownie tin
For the two bottom layers:
400g Desiccated coconut
285g Ground almond
1 Medium carrot (raw)
2 Oranges (zest and juice)
10 drops of organic orange essential oil (optional)
Melted coconut oil to grease your tin
35g Carob powder
1. In a large food processor, whiz just the desiccated coconut first to achieve a fine texture and then add the ground almond and blend together.
2. In a high speed blender, blend the carrot, zest and juice of the oranges, honey and the optional essential oil until smooth. Reserve a desert spoon of this mixture for the 3rd layer.
3. Add the orange mixture to the dry ingredients in the processor and blend together thoroughly.
4. Next, you will need to halve this mixture by weighing out the halves into two bowls and then return one half back to the food processor where you will add the carob powder and blend again. You now have your two bottom bases ready to be layered into the tin.
5. Grease your tin with a little melted coconut oil and then place the carob mixture into the tin and press evenly into the base so that you have a smooth even layer as your base. I use the back of a spoon to do this and it requires a little skill and patience to make sure you have a smooth and even finish but you will find it's well worth taking the time to create your foundation.
6. Once you have finished the bottom layer, you can now add the orange layer on top and again, press this layer down into place until is smooth and even.
For the next layer of orange cream topping:
1 Desert soon of your reserved orange and carrot mixture
75g Ground almond/blanched almonds or soaked cashew nuts
130g Coconut cream
40g Coconut oil (melted)
4 Drops of organic orange essential oil (optional)
1. Blend all together in your blender until a smooth consistency and then pour over the other two layers in your tin. Place in the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
130g Carob flakes
1. When the 3rd layer is set and firm to the touch, take out of the fridge and leave until room temperature before adding your final carob layer.
2. When you are ready to add the final layer, place the carob flakes into a small bowl or a glass jug and then sit this in a simmering pan of boiling water to melt as you stir. When smooth, pour the entire melted carob over the 3rd layer in one go and tilt the tin to ensure that the carob flows evenly across and coats the orange layer.
3. Place into the freezer to chill for about an hour or so and then remove and cut evenly with a large sharp knife into portions as small or as large as you wish.
Inspiration and tips:
A 20cm tin divides well in to 16 larger square portions or 32 slices, or 64 bite size portions. When you have cut into the sizes you like, you can wrap them in foil or place in a container and return to the freezer. They are yummy served straight from the freezer after a couple of minutes or so. Enjoy!
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar free | Yeast Free | Soy Free | Egg Free | Nut Free