Lemon Drizzle Cake
An old favourite for many, this delicious alternative lemon drizzle cake has been adapted to suit those with certain dietary requirements so that they don't miss out! It is not only gluten free and dairy free, but sugar free also. Light and refreshing, it is bursting with citrus flavour and makes a refreshing accompaniment to any afternoon tea.
Serves: 6/8 Prep time: 20 mins. Cooking time: 40 mins.
220g dairy free margarine
4 eggs (whisked)
8 drops of organic lemon essential oil
220g ground almond
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
Zest of 3 lemons
1. Heat your oven to 150˚C and then line and grease an 8 x 21cm loaf tin.
2. Beat together your dairy free margarine and honey for about three minutes.
3. Add the lemon essential oil to the eggs and whisk well.
4. Very slowly and gradually, add your whisked egg to the margarine mixture as you continue to beat. Add a desert spoon of the ground almond now and then as you add the egg to help reduce the mixture curdling.
5. Add the baking powder and the lemon zest to the ground almond and then gently fold into the mixture by hand with a spoon.
6. When ingredients are well blended, pour into your tin and place into your pre-heated oven on the middle shelf for approximately 40 minutes, depending on your oven. Test with a skewer, if it comes out clean, it is cooked.
7. Place on a wire wrack to cool.
To make the drizzle topping:
Juice of 2 lemons
85g honey (or to taste)
1tbsp agar agar
Lemon rind to decorate (optional)
1. Place the juice in a jug and add a little water to make 100mls, then add the honey, stirring well and pour into a small saucepan. Sprinkle over the agar flakes leaving them to rest on top and warm through on a medium heat. When this begins to boil, stir in the agar and leave to gently simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool. The mixture will begin to thicken as it cools. When it is thick enough, simply spoon or brush the mixture over your cake. To decorate, you can grate a little lemon peel over the top of your cake.
Inspirations and Tips:
Slice and wrap individually for the freezer so you can take some out as and when you feel to.
Enjoy with your favourite cup of tea.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free | Yeast Free | Soy Free | Egg Free | Nut Free