Beetroot Seed Crackers
If you love beetroot, you will love these crunchy savoury crackers. Not only are they delicious, they are highly nutritious, packed full of healthy seeds. They're so simple to make and can be stored for long periods in an airtight container, making them ideal for lunch boxes throughout the week. Originally inspired by my visits to Cafe-Nouveau in beautiful Somerset, and the original recipe can be found on UniMed Living
Serves: Plenty! Prep time: 20 mins. Cooking time: 20 mins.
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup golden linseeds
¼ cup milled linseeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup poppy seeds
¼ cup beetroot powder
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp. turmeric
3 tsp. mixed spices
2 tsp. chilli (optional)
Ground black pepper to taste
3 Egg whites - whisked a little
1. Pre-heat your oven to 160°C and line a couple of swiss roll trays with some greaseproof paper.
2. Place all of the dried ingredients into a food processor and blend well.
3. In a separate bowl, gently whisk your egg whites until they are a little frothy and then add to the dry mixture and blend again.
4. Empty half of the mixture onto one of your lined trays and carefully push the mixture down with the back of a spoon until the tray is evenly covered.
5. Empty the remaining mixture onto the other tray and repeat.
6. Place both trays on the top shelf in your pre-heated oven and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and score with either a knife or a roller-cutter into the shapes you would like and then pop back into the oven for a further 15 minutes. If your crackers are fairly thick, you may need to flip them to cook for a further 5 minutes on the other side.
7. Remove when cooked and place on a wire wrack to cool. When cool, store in an airtight container.
Inspirations and Tips:
These crackers keep well and can be made ahead of a party to save you time.
Great for lunch boxed and picnics
Serve with yummy dips or eat as snacks on their own.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free | Yeast Free | Soy Free | Nut Free