Raw Vegan Carrot Cake
This raw gluten and dairy free carrot cake is simply divine. I was inspired to make this after a recent trip to my favourite Cafe Nouveaux in Somerset. So, delicately delicious was it, that I decided to recreate a little version of my own as I live quite a way from the cafe. I definitely recommend a trip to the delightful Cafe Nouveaux situated in the very beautiful grounds of the Lighthouse in Tytherington for a cup of tea and a portion of this yummy cake, but if you're unable to get there, then this recipe comes close and it's super simple to make and freeze.
Prep: 25 mins Cooking time: 0 mins Makes: 16
Equipment you will need:
20cm loose bottomed brownie tin
High speed blender for the frosting
Piping bag & nozzle
275g Desiccated coconut
100g Dried apricots, chopped
175g Carrots, grated
100g Walnuts or pecans
300g Ground almond
45ml Coconut oil, melted
1tsp Mixed spice
1. Grease the tin with a little of the melted coconut oil.
2. Place the desiccated coconut in the food processor first and whiz until fine.
3. Add the already chopped apricots and process a little more so
that these are finely chopped.
4. Add the grated carrot and whiz again until reasonably fine.
5. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend well together.
6. With a spatula, place the mixture into the tin and press down
evenly with the back of a spoon and then chill.
7. When sufficiently chilled, cut into even squares of 16 and pipe with your prepared nut cream frosting, sprinkling with a few dried rose petals (I use rose petal herbal tea) and hey presto...
Nut cream frosting
Tip: Make ahead of time as it will need to chill before piping.
250g Cashew nuts, soaked for a few hours or over night
75g Coconut cream
2tbsp Coconut oil, melted
Agave to taste
2 tbsp Water
1. Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend at high speed until smooth.
2. Chill for an hour or so before use. This freezes well too.
Gluten free I Dairy free I Soy free I Yeast free I Sugar free