Roasted hazelnut, cranberry carob treats (sugar free)
With just 3 ingredients, these tasty carob treats are so delightfully simple to make and hugely delicious to eat! The original recipe is from UniMed Living website. This is my own take on it but you can find the original recipe here.
I love that these are so yummy and so simple to prepare. The cranberries are sweetened with apple concentrate and the carob has its own natural sweetness so you don't need to add any sweetener at all. The roasted hazelnuts give a crunchy nutty texture and flavour that everyone will love. They make a perfect edible gift as they are a super healthy alternative to so many of the sugar laden sweet treats that are on the shelves.
Prep: 10 minutes Cooking time: 0 minutes Serves: 6
Equipment you will need:
Small shallow tray
240g Siesta carob flakes
100g roasted hazelnuts
(whole or pieces)
1. Boil some water in a saucepan.
2. Place the carob flakes into a pyrex jug or bowl (I find a jug with a handle is easier) and place the jug into the hot water so that the carob begins to melt. Stirring occasionally will help the melting process along.
3. As the carob is melting, prepare your tray by lining the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
4. Prepare your hazelnuts by either placing them in a processor and blend just for a second or two as you don't want to lose the texture, or you can wrap them in a clean table cloth and gently bash a little with a rolling pin.
5. When the carob is completely melted, add the hazelnuts and cranberries and mix in thoroughly.
6. Pour the mixture into the lined tray and spread evenly.
7. Pop into the fridge for at least an hour to chill.
8. When chilled remove from the fridge and cut into diagonal shapes with a sharp knife.
9. Hey presto! They are ready to serve! :)
Gluten free I Dairy free I Yeast free I Sugar free I